Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Well so long wings 3d
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
NeoStyles ...

"I dont know how the average person can be expected to make heads or tails out of this. "

... answer READ ... e-mail ... skype ... suggest changes ... hotkeys

Neostyles ... Wings can evolve by embracing it's current technology ... without inventing new. There is a plugin manager where you can PICK STUFF (on and off). Ever use it ?

How about clicking "HIDE TOOLBAR " ? That would hide your UNDO button
first time I ever read that someone complains about Undo button... -.-
Ladies and Gentlemen,

IMHO this topic is loosing a litte bit from the main subject...
If someone wants to use this or other software, go ahead, no problem for me. There's at least dozen other good programs, but if I feel familiar with Wings don't try to convice me to use something other unless I decide so.
Basicly it doesn't matter it's commercial or not. Stop complaining about this or that.
We can start new topic with suggestion what should be done, changed or implemented. Make some schedule or mile stones.
We all, W3D users, are owners, testers, artist or programmers, so future of the tool is in our hands and heads.
I thought he'd said goodbye, but he's still here =/
(12-10-2014, 11:37 PM)neostyles Wrote: [ -> ]It's not just the fact that there are no on screen widgets (although this would make the workflow arguably much faster) that makes wings feel like something that dates back to early 2000s. Like i said, not having any way to adjust things interactively (aka tools) and having to undue when ever you get something wrong is like a throwback to the early days of 3d modelling. Most modelling packages allow you to for example change the axis that a tool is operating on instead of cluttering up the menu with 3 "different" tools.

I agree with you on this, visual transformation tools would in fact clean up alot of the sub menus.

Quote:I dont know how the average person can be expected to make heads or tails out of this.

On a purely literal level I feel that Wings is designed pretty intuitively. Functions almost always do what their name implies. Cut, Connect, Bend, Extrude, Smooth, Inset, etc.

But apart from that, users would learn this software the same way they would learn anything else, by using it. Trial and error.

Quote:In my opinon, wings's growth has slowed so much over the last few years because simply put the current ui has sort of reached it's limit. Wings must evolve if it wants to grow. Simply dumping more options into the right click menu isnt going to help grow.

And while I appreciate your opinion on this, I actually believe that growth has stopped simply because Wings was written in Erlang instead of something like C++

Comparatively there are very few Erlang programmers out there.

Quote:Wings may be able to do things faster but i feel like that is highly dependent on what you are trying to do . Alot of stuff is much more difficult in wings, like if you want to say divide face, you get stuck manually cutting the edges and connecting them, where as in say silo you can just adjust things in real time. Its much more artist friendly. Wings has never felt like it was very geared towards artists and i think that is part of the problem. The workflow is still very tedious where most apps have beyond this stuff years ago.

I am not sure why it is taking you so long to divide a face into any amount of sections, but it takes me about 1 second to do it. Select two edges and press C. If you want an edge loop simply select an edge, press G to acquire the edge ring, and then C to cut/connect.

While there isn't an interactive edge loop function, it really isn't that hard to create them in the first place, especially utilizing the hotkeys. It basically boils down to Select, G, C, done. That is about 1 seconds worth of work.

It's actually pretty silly to compare Silo to Wings seeing as Silo was created after Wings and for all intents and purposes based off of it.

As for your gripe about the undo button ... I really don't know what to say about that.

I hate to be this type of person but I am really curious as to what kind of work you produce, because blaming software for not being able to produce something right the first time is ... idiotic at best and highly unprofessional at worst. I fail to see how any piece of software is supposed to know what kinds of results the user expects?

There ARE legitimate issues with Wings, but you really aren't making much of a case for any of them.
I agree with Geta, and Hank, on all points.

Just to mention that "Circularize" is integrated in the default Wings package, and does't require the Manifold labs.
Mis-information ...

"While there isn't an interactive edge loop function,"

Yes there is ... it is the CONNECT MODE. To me ... that's interactive ... for artist ... and all. Rubberband away until you are happy.
Maybe Tool->Connect with "Loop cut ON" would be more interactive as you can change the cut place by changing the view.
Sorry but that Connect tool is far from an interactive edge LOOP tool. Look at how Maya handles this for a decent example of how this is accomplished.

Also, as a side note, having extra information on the right hand side of the Status bar is ... not very noticeable. I completely missed that the Connect tool has had an edgeloop function for ... I don't even know how long. Tongue

Cheers.
(12-13-2014, 02:49 PM)Geta-Ve Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry but that Connect tool is far from an interactive edge LOOP tool. Look at how Maya handles this for a decent example of how this is accomplished.
As for your not observance about the Wings3D UI you also didn't observed that I was talking about tool connect relative to regular connect command [C]!

I know how interactive this kind of operation are in another applications by watching some videos of them. And of course, that is not the wings aproaches. Each app has its own - that's why we see so many different 3D applications.

Quote:Also, as a side note, having extra information on the right hand side of the Status bar is ... not very noticeable. I completely missed that the Connect tool has had an edgeloop function for ... I don't even know how long. Tongue
sorry, but it seems typical of someone don't really intend to explore the tool's potential. If we want seriously use a tool we need to learn - at least - its basic aspect and pay attention to the information line is the most noticeable one in Wings3D - it's too basic. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6