Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Well so long wings 3d
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Not a bad idea with ALT-DEL. Certainly, I think it should be the individual user who decides what should be hidden or shown, as each user probably uses very different tools for very different things.

I know that for me personally, I wouldn't want to hide anything, as I like to know which options I have every step of the way.
I agree with Nova. Personally I like the fact that MOST of the available functions I can use at a given time on a given component are visible to me right away. Hiding features is, in my opinion, the opposite of intuitive. This would be even worse than ill placed UI elements. How do I know what options are available to me if they are never shown?

A user shouldn't have to go searching for available functionality. At least, not ALL functionality.

Wings used to feature this style of menu, it was called Basic mode or Basic menus. It was removed simply because new users were confused as to why certain functionality wasn't in Wings, when in fact it was, it was just hidden from them.

It's been proven that this method of UI interaction is more of a hinderance than a help.

My solution however is simply place the lesser used functions within some sort of *More* submenu. It feels like it would be the easiest thing to implement and the most user friendly (at this point in time at least).
Where thing would go and what would be demoted would be the next big source of debate ... given a MORE menu concept.

I have not made a character in years and years ... soup to nuts ... but I have zero doubt that Wings would feel any less twitchy and fast in 2014 than it did in 2007. Its fine. Nothing to see here ... all move along. JMHO.
Well ... you guys know I love menus with tons of stuff. I just found ...

"select by material edges"

That was such an unexpected and pleasent find ... right when I needed it. Right where I needed it.
As I'm using AutoUV lately ... use your imagination.

Sorry guys ... MORE IS BETTER. Just as long as you can structure the more. Yes ... I have troubles doing that ... but it is not rocket science.
(12-20-2014, 01:19 AM)Geta-Ve Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I like the fact that MOST of the available functions I can use at a given time on a given component are visible to me right away.
The problem is that at this time Wings is beyond the point where this is convenient. The program is too rich. You can't cram stuff into menus indefinitely.
This is the way I'd like to see it done (example from LibreOffice):

[Image: 22628a10c4b9d919f379344bccde6d4f.png]

You get categories, choice of options, and documentation all at once. What's not to like?
Not sure if it's a good idea to get involved in this but I think it's one troll of a thread! Good luck, Neo, it's your call! And that's it!
Yep. The problem is that instead of focusing on better tools, wings focused on more. Instead of a single move tool, we have like 5 which requires the user to open a sub menu. The huge list of primitives could simply be moved to a "create" menu at the top which would make things feel much less crowded.
I'm going to address the "Create" menu claim.

I think it is a BOGUS suggestion. The context menu for primitive is just that ... a context menu. Who cares where it is postioned ... at top or in client area. Either way ... it would remain the same.

Next bogus argument ?
It would make the context menu feel way less cluttered, dude. Right now it kind of feels like this
Not unless you disposed of some of the primitives. Are you telling me it is hard to find BOX and Sphere ? C'mon man.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6