Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Playing with Wings3D for fun (Micheus)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Quote:So, I thing we can satisfy all of us (be cause I also liked more it) with clean color, some glossy and a better environment integration. Look this:
[Image: Ornament-scene-yellow-marble.jpg]
What do you think. Maybe should I tweak its color a litter and make it less dark?

Hi Micheus
This is best material setting for final render (for me)(marble?).
But all minerals looks good (first image can be sandstone?)
* olve11 I edited your post just to add the missing initial "quote" tag. Smile

(03-22-2017, 04:09 PM)olve11 Wrote: [ -> ]This is best material setting for final render (for me)(marble?).
But all minerals looks good (first image can be sandstone?)
Yes, this last one is a Crema Valencia Marble. The green one can be the Teos or Indian Green Marble. In the first image I have to search because I didn't know its name I just saw some sculptures using it. So, what I had on mind is something like the Limestone
I can't believe I loose my KT project. Angry

Early afternoon I put it to render a 1080x1440px image in MTL mode and after ~2h I decided to start and load the Substance Painter project to check some parameters and after a couple of minutes my system froze and I had to reboot it. Now the KT stops load the project at 65% (the file is 67MB long, hard to load in a editor)

I think the processor got too hot since the memory load was at most 70% compromised. The cooling fan was running at full speed. Sad

My backup was out of date. As the scene was built into Kerkythea that will take a time again. Maybe this time I try to setup the most I can in Wings3D project.
Micheus,
The render looks great! Very nice materials.

Sorry you have to start over... Sad

oort
Here we go again...

As I have to setup everything again I decided to take some screenshot and add my steps here too (I've been adding them to my G+).

As I intend to make it to be inserted into a real environment - a photo, I tried to build the scene to create an environment light similar to the real one. I focused in the small portion from the picture that has a white object (close to the wall).

So, I setup the ornament material properties I added a simple sphere and set its material very basic - the only property set was the Diffuse color: white. Then I built a basic light setup for the scene and start to test it until find the best option to fit in my needs.

Surrounding the object (in the room boundaries) I spreed 16 omni lights to "simulate" the lights coming from the wall. The uvmaped room (cage) was used as a light emitter too.
[Image: ornament-kerkythea_scene.png]

The white source light on the ceiling was extracted to be a separated source of light and give me more control over the light setup. Bellow we see the render results for each combination I tried:
[Image: Teste_Lights_-_rendering.jpg]

The next one shows the rendered sphere mixed to the original photo. The image 5 seems to look better to me (maybe I just need to decrease the ceiling light power a little):
[Image: Teste_Lights_-_composition.jpg]

It's interesting to notice that in the render test the sphere can fit nice more than one setup, but when "extracted" and mixed to the desired background only one (or two) looks better.

Except when singed MTL, I used the PhotonMap - Quick that produce a good result faster. For those cases (MLT), the light power (gain) needs to be increased in order to get close to the results I got using the PhotonMap method.
Finished! (finally Smile)

I realised I didn't pay attention to a white light coming from the left side (we can notice that back, close the wall), so i added another light (projector) to simulate that light that seems to come from a window or door.

[Image: ornament_shape_in_exhibition______by_mic...sFSlA_67Z4]
Rendered with Kerkythea Echo Boost Edition v2.5.2 Windows 64bit (Photonmap High) | ~1h (i7-4770K 3.50ghz)
* It's recommended to see it in full size.

A render using the other materials side by side
[Image: ornament_shap__render___three_different_...J6MQyqoQUw]
Micheus,
The final version looks great. Adding that extra light makes the model look much more realistic.

Even the green version of the model looks better... Might be interesting to see a render with the green one again... Smile

oort
Thanks oort
(04-01-2017, 03:32 PM)oort Wrote: [ -> ]Might be interesting to see a render with the green one again... Smile
That is easy now. Smile
Follow the links: Green Marble and Rough Stone
So many things to learn, as to the use of Wings, in this thread! : - )

Micheus it seems to me that still there is something artificial on the object's appearance. Maybe some beveling in its sharp edge areas, some slight irregularity on its surfaces, some agedness-decay and dirt effects...

Something is missing for sure. The shape is too perfect. It is unnatural to be so. There is a need of something that will 'infuse' it to the environment. Something that will make it a natural part of the space in which is standing.
(04-04-2017, 06:45 AM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]Micheus it seems to me that still there is something artificial on the object's appearance. Maybe some beveling in its sharp edge areas, some slight irregularity on its surfaces, some agedness-decay and dirt effects...
Thanks for your comments Dimitri.
Texture is a big problem. Even working a lot on it I couldn't make it better.
Old marble pieces can be found in museums without much age effect - they look like new (except for the metal pieces). So, I didn't care about that. But, I think it could to look more sharp. If you look the full zoomed image it's possible to see some irregularities - and maybe it's too much rough. The UV scale can be a problem too. The marble pattern can become tileable if it's too small or be incompatible with the object size if it's too big. I probably would need a picture of a full block of marble to avoid that. Smile
I played a couple of days with Gimp and KT trying to produce a brass material and I couldn't reach a good one. Sad
Some maps created with Substance Painter are almost useless in a non PBR render.
That was my first try mixing photo and render image. I think I'm going back to stay in the render only for a while. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25