Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Playing with Wings3D for fun (Micheus)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Early this year I was working on the replication this nice speaker above. But, it has been waiting for some finalization that will take a while. Smile

I started by replicating segments at each new detail I created before I have to work in each side individually.
[Image: basic-steps.png]

I liked the use of metallic material to approximate it from the final one and then see better the mesh imperfections to be fixed.

[Image: Aeon-Spk-side3-wire-shader.png] [Image: Aeon-Spk-side4-wire-shader.png]

[Image: Aeon-Spk-side1-wire-shader.png] [Image: Aeon-Spk-side2-wire-shader.png]

Here is an examples of that. It would be OK to be render with the camera far from it, but not if we need a closeup:

[Image: Aeon-Spk-fixing-mesh1.png]

Here is the before and after:

[Image: Aeon-Spk-fixing-mesh3.png]

and this is a bad shape created by adding extra edge loops needed to hold the details on the middle part. Because it was not used something like Edge Flow before start to "sculp" the details I have to make some manual adjusts to get the shape better when applied one subd:
[Image: Aeon-Spk-bad-mesh.png]

[Image: Aeon-Spk-fixing-mesh2.png]
nice work really great detail
WIP: Working in something that have to be a little bit dense due to the details it requires, but trying to make it in a way I don't need to apply a subdivision later.

[img size=450x450]https://i.postimg.cc/7hDH20mk/adapter-screew-wire.png[/img]

[Image: adapter-grip.png]

[img size=450x450]https://i.postimg.cc/KjNZrjHg/adapter-screew-shader.png[/img]

I did a volume/tone knobs on a guitar, but mine were displaced at render time(Thea)
I think I have normal mapped textures as well which are fine for viewed distance

very very stunning work
Quote:I think I have normal mapped textures as well which are fine for viewed distance
Indeed. That simplify a lot the work and I already used it before too.
I'm going to use this approach to the grip for the filter lens (bellow) - that is even small and I don't want to reach this level of detail. Smile

As the whole object is small I thought it would be a good idea to model some details that will be noticed when I render it in closeup or when it is saw in a 3D viewer like Sketchfab.

Here is the lens filter:
[Image: adapter-screew-filter.png]
I created the rough texture using the Wings3D shaders. Then, I used the Gimp to create the base of bump map, added the grip's pattern and this way I created the normal map which gives this slight deformed surface we see in some lens filter.

[Image: Filter-frame-shader-to-texture.png]

Here is a closeup of the final result (basecolor+rough+normal):

[Image: Lens-Filter-textured-pbr.png]
I cannot make Kerkythea work anymore, so I used it to test the www.vectary.com online tool (free account) and see if I could make it look better. Unfortunately, the shadows didn't show up. Maybe it's available for paid version (?).

[Image: Filter-Adapter-Vectary-com-2.png] [Image: Filter-Adapter-Vectary-com-3.png]

I went refresh my mind by finishing the vintage phone I started early last year when I created it using only the curve tools. It was a way to test the code and also improve it a little.

Just replicating here the reference source I used:

[Image: old-phone-finish-back.png] [Image: old-phone-finish-bottom.png] [Image: old-phone-finish-bottom-PBR.png]

[Image: old-phone-finish-front.png] [Image: old-phone-finish-top.png] [Image: old-phone-finish-top-PBR.png]
* Click on the image to enlarge it

I think it requires some extra polishment by adding normal maps and maybe some texture painting in order to make it look older. But, maybe next year. Smile

Vintage Phone by micheus on Sketchfab
Micheus,

I did not notice your last post till today. The phone is amazing. You should sell your work on Turbosquid or other platform.

In your previous post with lens filters, you mention that Kerkythea is no longer working for you. Why not use YafaRay to render? YafaRay supports transparent shadows.

YafaRay Example

oort
Thanks. I thought this was my best work (although it took longer to get ready).
I'm back working on the speaker again to finish it.

oort Wrote:In your previous post with lens filters, you mention that Kerkythea is no longer working for you. Why not use YafaRay to render? YafaRay supports transparent shadows.
Because I'm lazy. Biggrin
The advantage I saw in Kerkythea was how easy I could get a material setup working. Sometimes I just started from one it offered sometimes I just messed up with its parameters.

To make Yafaray work for me I would have to think about create a kind of material library and some scene setup first and that would take long time since I will have to learn about all the stuff it offers. Maybe someday. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25